What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?
I think a person is a "reader" if they read for pleasure, besides any reading for work, school, or life goals. If you do read in your spare time but it is just self help and books in your field then I really wouldn't count you. I also kind of have a bias against those who may read in their time but only to impress others; reading Oprah's latest recommendation just to be able to say you have is kind of borderline to me. I also feel there is a volume threshold. I would say 4-6 books a year is the minimum that makes you a reader. Here's another few signs:
- you'd list "reading" as a hobby on a personals ad
- you'd rather read a book on a long flight than watch a movie on your IPOD
- females-you buy new purses based on the size of book that will fit in it
- you take a book camping with you
- the librarians know you by name
- the cashiers at your favorite bookstore know you by name
- you HAVE a favorite bookstore
- you've gone out specifically to buy another bookcase, for books
- you've called out of work to stay home and read
I know there are more!