Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?
I read lots and lots of library books. so far this year, at last count anyway, i'd read 71 library books (though now i'm sad they're only letting people put up to 10 on hold....i normally have anywhere from that on up) I've also got about 225 listed on librarything. So why buy? lots of reasons.
- The wait is interminable at the library for a book i really really want to read.
- I am pretty sure i'll want to read it again.
- the library doesn't have it
- it's pretty
- it's cheap
- It'll make me look smart (ok yeah i mean it)
- no one believes you read tons of books if you don't have a bunch lying around
- I like to have a variety of choices
- it's some kind of workbook (i've got some for depression) so you need to mark it up
- it's a reference book